Tracing the Da Vinci Tomb in the Badia Fiorentina

DOI: 10.14673/HE201631019

Published in Human Evolution – Vol. 31 – n.3 – 2016

Abstract
In the late fifteenth century, the father of Leonardo da Vinci, whose origins have fascinated scholars for well over a century, installed a tomb for himself and his descendants in the Florentine monastery known today as the Badia Fiorentina. Leonardo’s complex family included four stepmothers and twenty-three half brothers and half sisters and their offspring, many of whom were buried at the Badia. This article traces the history of the Da Vinci tomb from its first burial in 1474 to its last in 1614 to recount which family members were buried therein and when. Since the church was radically renovated in the mid-seventeenth century, this paper also provides evidence for where the tomb chamber was originally located and where its remnants might be found through archeological excavation.

Leader, A., PhD.
Art historian and writer,
230 Brookwood Drive,
Auburn, AL 36830, USA.
E-mail: annecleader@gmail.com